How-To: Make Edibles with Already Vaped Weed
Today I’m going to teach you an easy way to bring new life to your already vaped weed scraps. Yes, you can recycle your weed! Previously something you would have disposed, can give you a whole new high. Pretty much the closest thing to ganja wizardry. When you’re on a budget, getting two highs out of one bud is life-saving.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Half-Ounce of ‘Already Been Vaped’ Weed
- 1/2 cup of Butter/ Oil of your preference (discussed below)
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Spatula / Mixing Utensil
- One medium-sized plasticcontainer
If you’re curious about the science behind this idea of recycling your weed, the THC and all the other cannabinoids that make up your bud vaporize at different temperatures. Vaporizing doesn’t combust the cannabis, it essentially bakes it at a high temperature, leaving a lot of THC on the buds. You do have to make sure that when you’re vaporizing, you’re not at so high of a temperature that you’re left with no THC. If your leftover weed is turning black, your temperature is too high. It should be a light to dark brown.
Vaping is not only the healthiest way to consume our precious cannabinoids, it is also the most economical. With vaporizing, a little bit goes a very long way. You can also experiment with combining other healing herbs in your vaporizer to enhance your stash and make it last even longer. Keep an airtight glass jar next to your vaporizer and use it as your “ashtray” for all the vaporized herb.
The best part of cooking with weed that has already been vaped is that you get to skip the long process of activating your canna-butter. Since your flower has already been heated by its first round of vaporization, all of the cannabinoids are activated and ready to directly infuse. The recommendation is to still give it some heat and infuse your scraps in butter or oil, but in a pinch you could theoretically throw the already been vaped weed directly into your brownie mix. The only caveat to this method is that the taste might not be as good.
Okay, now let’s talk about the fun part — the options you have for infusion:
Canna-butter – Butter has been a long-time go-to for cannabis consumers because of its high fat content, it’s easy to infuse, and it makes everything taste freakin’ amazing. THC, CBD and all the other good-for-you things that are packed in our favorite flower attach to fat molecules, so our goal is to get butter with the highest fat content. To find the fat content just look at the saturated and unsaturated fat on the back of the package. I recommend to choose an unsalted butter with at least 7g of saturated fat.
Canna-Oil – Already-vaped weed can be infused into any kind of cooking oil, including olive, canola and my personal favorite, coconut. I haven’t yet tried avocado oil, but the more fat the better! Coconut has the highest saturated fat content with 12 grams of saturated fat, but olive oil and avocado are in the lead in the monounsaturated fats with 10 grams. Edible cocoa butter is also a great option for infusion as it has 8 grams of saturated fat and has arguably the best taste.
Both options for infusion are very versatile, and can be subbed into any recipe that calls for butter or oil. Don’t be afraid to think outside the “weed brownie box!” You can go the savory route with a stoned stir-fry, canna-buttered cornbread, or medicated mashed potatoes. The possibilities are endless.
WHAT YOU DO:
- Weigh out a half-ounce of your Already Been Vaped weed (you can add less or more to adjust the strength of the final product)
- Create a tea bag out of cheesecloth holding all your ABV weed (this eliminates the need for straining). Place your THC teabag into an empty saucepan.
- Measure a 1/2 cup of butter or oil of your preference and add it to the saucepan with the ABV weed. If you’re using butter or coconut oil, you may want to melt it in the microwave first.
- Stir the butter/oil and the ABV weed together on low heat until the mixture begins to simmer.
- Simmer the mixture for a minimum of 20 minutes, stirring frequently. This ensures that your butter/oil is being infused to its maximum potential. If you have time to kill, feel free to leave your pan on low heat for a couple of hours.
- Once you feel satisfied with your infusion, remove from the stove.
- Squeeze all of the butter/oil out of the teabag filled with your ABV weed and discard. If you decided to mix your ABV in directly with your butter/oil, it’s now time to separate. Using cheesecloth, strain the butter/oil into a plastic container.This is easiest as a two person job, one holding the cheesecloth and one pouring out the pan. Squeeze all the remaining butter/oil out of the cheesecloth and into your bowl, and throw it away.
- Your infusion is now ready to use!
Sub your fresh canna butter or oil into any recipe, sweet or savory, and get creative. You don’t have to use it all at once either as it will keep in your fridge for a couple of weeks. It makes a great topping for toast in the morning before a stressful day.
My favorite flavor profile to enhance the herbal flavor of the butter/oil is lemon, but it’s always exciting to experiment and find your own preference. Share your favorite recipes in the comments below. I always love trying new medicated masterpieces!
Consume your ganja treats responsibly now, my friends, because while whatever you make will taste absolutely delicious, you can’t forget that they will be very potent. If you lost count on how many cookies you’ve eaten and need to soften your high, check out our article How-To: Reduce Your High.
How-To: Make Edibles with Already Vaped Weed Today I’m going to teach you an easy way to bring new life to your already vaped weed scraps. Yes, you can recycle your weed! Previously something you
Making brownies with your ‘Already Vaped Bud’!
October 13, 2020
Last month, we explained why it is worth saving your ‘already vaped bud’ (AVB for short). Today, we’re going to show you how easy to recycle your vaped herbs into potent edibles
The dry herbs left in your vaporizer after a session will still have between 20-30% of cannabinoids left in. This means your AVB is perfect for creating potent edibles – a lifesaver when you’re on a budget and need to stretch out the life of your herbs!
To check your herbs are in the right condition to make potent edibles with you should this blog post: Why you should be saving your AVBs
Technically, because our flowers will have already been decarboxylated in our vaporizer we could just throw the herbs into our brownie mix.
However, this will not taste too great so we’re going to make infused butter first!
Making ‘infused’ butter.
When cannabinoids are exposed to heat they’ll attach to fat molecules. This is why butter is a popular choice for making choice for infusing edibles.
To create the most potent butter we’ll need to look for a brand with high saturated fat.
You can amend the recipe below to change the size or potency of the butter made.
- First thing first, we’ll need to save up between 8-10grams of AVB. So get vaping!
- Put 100grams of your butter in a small pan and melt it on a low heat setting.
- If you have any cheesecloth available you can use this to make a tea bag of sorts with your herbs. If not, pop your herbs straight in the melted butter – we can strain it later.
- Stir the butter and the bud together until the entire mixture is liquid and begins to simmer. – If the butter turns dark brown or the bud turns black you’ve probably added too much heat – Be careful!
- Depending on how patient you are, leave the mixture to simmer for 20 – 40 mins. Leaving it longer will allow more molecules to bind to your butter.
- Once the time is up, remove the mixture from the heat.
- If you used a cheesecloth squeeze all the excess butter out. If you put the herb straight into the mix we’ll have to pour the mixture into a container whilst straining the herbs out with a sieve. We can now throw our herbs away.
Voila! We can now leave the butter to set in the fridge or we can use it straight away!
The best thing about this recipe is that we can substitute it in for any recipe that calls for butter. At dank! we have a sweet tooth so we are obviously going to make chocolate brownies!
Last month, we explained why it is worth saving your 'already vaped bud' (AVB for short). Today, we’re going to show you how easy to recycle your vaped herbs into potent edibles The dry herbs left in your vaporizer after a session will still have between 20-30% of cannabinoids left in. This means your AVB is perfect f