How To Clean Quartz Bangers
Using a quartz banger to vaporize your cannabis concentrate is now counts as standard procedure and the cheapest and most reliable way to dab when it comes to dabbing. But we know that when it comes to cleaning, it could always be a pain in the ass. All those sticky materials seem impossible to come off no matter how hard to try to rub the inside using a q-tip. If you try to ignore the fact that your dab nails are dirty as hell and still trying to dab with them, you are going to have a really bad day. Not to mention your dab is going to taste horrible, the harmful substance created from burning the charred materials can do you no good, if you use charred quartz bangers frequently your are looking to do your lungs a lot of damages that could not be reversed.
We’ll talk about how to prevent your dab nail being dirty and charred at the end of this article, today we are going to break down the steps we use all the time to clean our used and charred bangers. You’ll learn how to clean your quartz bangers in just 4 simple steps.
Follow These 4 Steps To Clean Your Dirty Quartz Bangers
- Use Sea Salt To Give Your Dab Nail A Little Rub. Start with a little rub with sea salt can be a good start because the chemicals of the salt can break down the sticky charred materials covering the inside and out of your quartz bangers, if your hands are sensitive when it comes to touching rough salt you can always use a pair of glove or using a rag to do the job.
- Soak Your Banger in A Ziplock Bag Filled With 99% Alcohol Solution. As we all know that alcohol could be extremely useful when it comes to cleaning your bong and glass pipes, well it’ not an exception when it comes to quartz bangers as well, after the salt rub, put your dab nail in the Ziplock bag that is filled with 99% Alcohol solution. The ziplock should not be too big(wasting your alcohol solutions) nor too small(Hard to put your dab nail in there), make sure the bag doesn’t contain too much bubble in there, squeeze the bubbles out when you ziplock the bag. Now all you do is wait, 24 hours should be efficient for the alcohol and salt mix solution to break down the charred residues inside the banger. Make it to 48 hours if you are not too confident.
- Boil Your Quartz Banger In 100°C Water(Boiling Water). After soaking your quartz bangers in the alcohol and salt mix solution, all the charred residues should be softened quite a bit, but don’t rush your process trying to use a Q-tip to finish the job just yet. Prepare a pot of water on your stove, heat it to 100° Celcius(boiling point) the out your dab nail in there, don’t need to stir the pot, you can watch the charred residues coming off the piece like magic! Be patient, don’t take the quartz banger out just yet, leaving it boiling in water for about 10 minutes.
- Use Alcohol Wipes To Finish The Job. When you take the banger out of the water you would probably see it sparkly clean, just like a new one! But we are not finished just yet. Find some of those alcohol wipes you use to clean your eyeglasses or phone screens, it should be pretty easy to come by, you can stock a 100 unit box from Amazon for about 5 bucks. If you don’t have some laying around, you can always use a small piece of cloth, soak it with water and then give the banger a thorough wiping from top to bottom.
There! Your dab nail is now clean as new and ready to dab with again with your favorite dab rigs!
How To Prevent Your Quartz Banger Turning Yellow/Black In 4 Simple Steps
Just like any glassware, your quartz banger will eventually turn yellow or even black after a period of intense use. The best solution is not throwing out the old ones and getting new ones, maintain a clean dabbing piece is not that hard to do, it only requires a bit of time for cleaning up every time after use. As you probably know that the quartz material is one of the most reliable and strong materials out there, a well-maintained quartz banger could last a lifetime if properly cared for.
Here are a few simple tips to prevent your dabbing piece from turning yellow or black.
- Never Over Heat Your Quartz Bangers. We do understand that some dabbers would prefer high-temperature dabs, but that’s harmful to both your lungs and your quartz bangers. Heating your quartz bangers higher than 800°F would vaporize your concentrate almost instantly and left behind a pile of charred materials on the bottom of your banger, some poorly made solvent-base concentrates/dabs could even catch on fire. Not only high temperature could ruin the taste of your concentrate if could also do a lot of damage to your lungs if you are using shorter cheap dab rigs that don’t have enough percolators to chill the vapor when inhaling. Always heat your dab nails lower than 600°F. If you are a new dabber and you don’t know how to tell how hot your banger gets, you could always use an enail set to pinpoint the temperature you need without all the guessing.
Here is an video example of how to use a desktop enail dab kit:
- Always Heat Your Quartz Banger Evenly. When you use a butane torch to heat your quartz banger, always remember to move the flame all over the nail to heat it evenly, you need the banger’s temperature to be consistent and stable during the whole dabbing process. One of the most common mistakes made by the new dabbers is that they use the torch heat only the bottom of the banger, the temperature will differ from different parts of the banger and the bottom could be dangerously hot within a few seconds without you noticing, once you put in the concentrate, it will immediately be burned and charred and your dab piece could be ruin.
Here is an video example of how to heat your quartz piece evenly using a butane torch:
- Always Clean Your Quartz Banger Between Dabs. Some dabbers would think that cleaning the banger between dabs is too much trouble, well, telling from our experience, cleaning between dabs could be the most efficient way to prevent your quartz bangers turning yellow or black. If you don’t use an alcohol soaked q-tip to clean up your dab piece between dabs, the flavor of your concentrate would mix and it won’t be a pleasant experience, the residues from your last dab could already be condensed, if you leave it there on the bottom and trying the heat the banger again, you’ll definitely taste the bitterness from cooking the residues.
- Always Use Alcohol Soaked Q-Tips To Clean Up After Use. Just like we mention above, using alcohol-soaked q-tips to clean your banger is essential for the proper maintenance of your banger, if you are too lazy to clean up the quartz banger after using, next time when you try to use the banger you will find the condensed residue from last time had already hardened and almost impossible to remove. Using a knife or other sharp object trying to carve the residues out would leave scratch marks all over the inside of your banger at this point so don’t bother yourself doing so.
There are a lot of different ways to clean your quartz bangers, after all, it’s not rocket science and there are more and more cleaning agents designed to clean quartz bangers nowadays. If you want to save yourself a few bucks, always keep your dab nails clean is the way to go!Using a quartz banger to vaporize your cannabis concentrate is now counts as standard procedure and the cheapest and most reliable way to dab when it comes to dabbing. But we know that when it comes to cleaning the quartz bangers it could always be a pain in the ass. Find out how to clean your quartz banger in 4 steps.
How to Clean your Quartz Banger – A Step by Step Guide (PHOTOS)
You just spent a bundle on a brand new banger and now you want to know how to clean your quartz banger. We love your moxie and want to give you the knowledge you need to keep your quartz nail in top shape. Clean bangers taste better, look nicer, and last longer than dirty quartz, so what are you waiting for? Keep reading to learn how to clean your quartz banger and how to care for it in the future.
How to Clean Your Quartz Banger: Step-by-Step
How you clean your dab banger depends entirely on how dirty it is. If you really let your quartz banger go, it could be coated in thick black gunk. This is a step-by-step guide describing how to clean a dirty quartz banger, as well as how to keep it clean in the future.
Before we discuss cleaning your quartz banger, let’s look at what to avoid. First, never use bleach or acid-based cleaning products. Instead, use distilled water or 99% ISO alcohol. Next, never use rough, abrasive tools to clean your quartz banger. Instead, most dabbers use a Q-Tip or cotton swab.
Low-temp dabs (400-600°F) are also essential to keeping your quartz looking and tasting great. It’s also important to clean your banger after every dab. That may seem like overkill, but realize that once your banger cools, any residue has a permanent effect on the quartz. If not kept clean, quartz bangers become dull, cloudy, and yellow.
Now that you’re all caught up, it’s time to learn how to actually clean your quartz banger.
My Quartz Banger is Turning Black
You were going to clean your banger, but then you got high. This happened so many times that your quartz banger now has a thick layer of black or dark brown residue. All is not lost, though. Follow these steps to clear the gunk:
1. Soak banger in 99% ISO Alcohol and Salt. Start with a nice soak. Use a combination of 99% ISO alcohol and coarse salt in a Ziploc bag to create a powerful solution for cutting through dab residue. Put your banger in the solution overnight to loosen the residue.
2. Rinse with warm water. Remove your quartz banger and rinse thoroughly under warm water.
3. Scrape off any residue with a dabber. Once the residue is softened in the alcohol solution, use a dab tool or similar blunt tool to scrape off the excess.
4. Heat up the banger. After the worst of the gunk is removed, it’s time to heat your banger up to around 600-800F. This should turn any remaining residue to ash, and loosen whatever’s left for removal.
5. Wipe bowl with alcohol soaked q-tip. Allow the banger to cool enough that it’s safe to run an alcohol-soaked Q-Tip around the bowl. This isn’t an exact science, and it takes some practice to get the right temp. Yellow residue and fresh puddles should come off easily without being sticky or too wet.
6. Use the dry side of the Q-Tip to remove excess alcohol.
7. Repeat until you can no longer remove any residue.
My Banger is Yellow/Light Brown
You just got your quartz banger, and to your horror, it’s already turning yellow after just a few sessions! Bummer. Quartz gets dirty quickly, so stay vigilant. For light messes, simply follow Steps 4-7 from above. Keep your banger clean by following the steps below between dabs.
Regular Quartz Banger Maintenance
Once you have a clean quartz banger, or if your banger is new, you must use regular maintenance to keep it that way.
Remember when we said that when your banger cools after a hit, the finish of your quartz is permanently altered by the mess. Once or twice isn’t bad, but over time the quartz will turn yellow and lose its shine.
To avoid this, experienced dabbers perform the following steps and keep their quartz bangers looking fresh:
Keep a bunch of fresh, sturdy Q-Tips and some ISO alcohol around.
Take a dab. Remember, low-temp dabs are the best for you and your quartz banger. Overheating your quartz banger (over 1000°F, or red hot) causes it to go cloudy, and is the main cause of black, tar-like residue.
Allow the quartz too cool enough that the puddle is solid enough to stay in place but liquid enough to lift away – about 30-seconds or a minute. Use a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol to gently remove the residue.
Use the dry side of the Q-Tip to mop up any extra alcohol.
Repeat after every dab to keep your quartz banger looking new.
The Importance of Buying Quality Quartz
Like everything else, quartz bangers come in varying qualities. A cheap quartz banger runs around $10, while expensive pieces over $50. And like everything else, you get what you pay for when it comes to quartz bangers.
In short, cheap bangers discolor faster, have poorer resistance to temperature shock, and are less sturdy than their top-end counterparts. Hey, they work, but we recommend spending a bit more for a banger that will last longer than a few months.
No matter how much you spend on your quartz banger, just follow the steps above to keep it looking and tasting like new.Step by step instructions on how to clean your quartz banger. This helpful guide will improve your foggy banger and restore the clarity and taste you get from dabbing. Q-tips and alcohol and a little care will extend the life of your banger and save you a ton of money. ]]>