Clay Pipe Without Any Professional Tools
Introduction: Clay Pipe Without Any Professional Tools
I was on a vacation with my grandparents in a place which is not too close to civilization.
So ,as always, I decided to make something to enjoy myself. I found cappadocia clay at home, but there wasn’t any tools to shape it. Then, I asked myself a question can I make a pipe out of this?
THE ANSWER IS OF COURSE YES
Step 1: Materials
You only need some equipments you can easily find at home:
-A bowl of water
Step 2: Main Part
First things first, make a clay bowl approximately 2.5 cm (
1 inch) in diameter.
Gently by using your thumb push the middle of the clay to edges in order to create a hole in the middle to put the tobaco.
Take a thin rope and make it leave the ground gently by putting the rope under the clay as close as to the ground and pulling it towards you. Turn it over.
Then, start giving it a shape. I want a squared shape so I push the edges towards each other by creating corners. After giving its basic shape, give upper end a cooler shape like pointing it or something similar to a chin shape.
Lastly, by using a tooth pick drill a hole from a place nearer to the upper side into the middle of our tobacco hole.
Step 3: Smoothening
This is probably the most important step.
FRIENDLY REMINDER: The more you repeat this process a better product you will get.
Dip your fingers to water then push them onto a tissue paper but you need to still feal that your hand is wet.
Then, gently with your slightly wet hand go over the places that you find faulty.
Water will make clay stronger and make your pipe cooler.
Step 4: The Tube
Take some clay , really some it isn’t a quantity that you can measure but almost the half of your round.
By using your bouth hands make a cylinder.
YOUR CYLINDER MUST BE DURABLE BUT NOT THAT THICK.
Then, cut a 5-7cm (2-3inch) cylinder.
Starting form one side cut your cylinder into half until you reach the middle.
Put a thick rope to the lart you have just cut and close the tube gently by using some water and your hands.
Give the tube the desired shape and pull the rope slowly by not harming your tube.
Pres to one end of your tube gently by not closing the pasaage and giving it the desired shape for your mouth.
Step 5: Finishing
Apply water both to your tube and the hole in the main part and by pressing them together and pushing some clay from the tube to the main part let them come together.
Then, add some stylish figures by using your tooth picks.I will just draw a spades to a aidr.
Step 6: Baking
Heat your oven to 220 celsius and let your pipe bake inside for 45 minutes.
One more important part:
Don’t take your pipe until 45 minute is over let it cool woth the oven and take it after 1 or 2 hours.
Taking it imediately will damage your piepe.
Step 7: Conclusion
If you do something yourself you do the best.
And this will be your best pipe ever.
My aim for this project was showing people that they don’t need to have experience or professional tools to make a project come true.
And here it is just go to your kitchen fech these basic equipments and shape your clay.
Most importantly HAVE FUN.
How To Make A Ceramic Bong
A ceramic bong is more of a piece of art that smokers use for display purposes. They can function like any other bong, but they more limitations when it comes to smoking. However, you certainly can’t deny the beauty that you see with these pipes. We’ll share with you some tips on how to make a ceramic bong in simple-to-follow steps.
*Note: you need to have at least the basic knowledge on how to create pottery
Materials for making the ceramic water pipe
The basic tools and materials you need are the common ones that people use in pottery. For the ceramic body, you will need:
- Pottery clay
- Non-toxic glaze
- Water to keep the clay moist during shaping
For the tools, you’ll need
- A clean, sturdy table for kneading clay
- Wheel for shaping the clay
- Plastic or wood scraper
- Kiln or oven to harden your bong
- Paintbrush for decorating your bong
- Torch for firing the clay on the wheel
This video shows how to make a bong by forming different parts.
Steps for creating a bong made of ceramics
Here are simple steps in forming your ceramic bong.
- Knead the mud until it’s soft and pliable enough for shaping. You need clay that is about 5 inches in diameter, more or less the size of a duckpin bowling ball.
- Place the clay on the center of the wheel, shaping it into a wide mound.
- Turn the wheel, wetting the material as you go.
- Place one hand on the side of the clay to keep its shape and position.
- Insert your finger through the center, slowly opening the hole as you go.
- Place the scraper on the surface of the pottery. With your hand inside the opening, “pull” the clay up and angle the scraper to narrow the opening.
- Half-way through, slightly harden the mud by torching it for less than a minute.
- Create the neck by bending the scraper inwards while you pull up. Keep going as high as you want while keeping the same thickness.
- Once you got the hight that you like, flare the end a little. This will be your mouthpiece.
- Use a long piece of string to separate the bong from the wheel. Keep it to the side for now.
- Using another block of mud, throw it until it’s a tall cone. Shape the top to form the bowl and separate it from the cone using a string.
Torching helps the mud keep its shape
- Cut a hole on the side of the body of the pipe. Insert the downstem in an angle. Seal the connection with coiling.
- Drill a hole in the bowl and connect it to the downstem.
- Smoothen the seams before putting it in the kiln for firing.
- Let the kiln cool down to room temperature. Wear gloves and take out the bisque. Apply the glaze, then paint it for a better look. Send it back to the kiln for the final firing.
- Take the Vase out of the kiln once it cools down.
Tips for creating a ceramic bong
Keep the clay and your hands wet at all times. This will prevent the mud from sticking to your hands, making it comfortable to spin. The moisture will also help keep the material soft and pliable.
Use the torch occasionally to prevent the ceramic from giving way was you narrow the size as you go up the neck.
Don’t expect perfection. Things can happen inside the kiln. Sometimes the bongs don’t go out the way you expect it to be. You’ve observed the proper time, made the necessary precautions, see to it that the glaze is even. No matter how well you made the bong, there will still be some imperfections.
Bongs lovingly done with pottery skills will always be satisfying to see. Smoking with these bongs may be different from traditional pipes, but people can’t ignore the skill and artistry. Do you want to have your own ceramic bong? Click here now and get one for your collection.[We'll give you the steps and tips on how to make a ceramic bong that you can use and show off to your family and friends!] ]]>