Review: G Pro Herbal Vaporizer From Grenco Science
- Released: July 2014
- Manufactured By: Grenco Science
- Manufactured In: China
- Designed In: California
- Designed For:
- Dry Herb
Update #2 (September 2017) – Grenco Science has released the G Pen Pro, the newer version of the G Pro Herbal Vaporizer. To read our official review of the G Pen Pro, click here.
Update #1 (May 2016) – Grenco Science has released a new portable vaporizer known as the G-Pen Elite. To read our official review of the Elite, click here.
The G Pro Herbal vaporizer is a portable vape from Grenco Science, the same people who brought you the G Pen and MicroG Pen vaporizers. The Grenco Science website refers to the unit as “a technological marvel offering conduction + convection vaporization in its truest form,” so I was excited to see whether it would live up to the hype.
G Pro Herbal Vaporizer: A Portable Conduction Vape
Based in Los Angeles, Grenco Science prides itself on engineering the most advanced, user friendly portable vaporizers in the world. The company was founded in 2012 and has since established quite the presence in the industry.
Much of Grenco Science’s success is owed to the popularity of “dabbing” and cannabis concentrates, as most of their vaporizers are geared toward use with shatters, waxes, etc. However, the G Pro Herbal vaporizer the latest in their line of vapes tailored to use with dried herb. When you consider the proliferation of medical marijuana initiatives that disallow smoked cannabis in states like Minnesota and New York, the timing for an affordable portable flower vaporizer couldn’t be any better.
According to the Grenco Science website, the G Pro Herbal vaporizer retails for $99.95. It also states that the unit’s heating chamber is made of stainless steel and operates on three different temperature settings (more on this below).
The G Pro Herbal vaporizer arrives in a elegantly-simple black box that is held shut with two small magnets and branded with Grenco Science’s signature G symbol. Inside the box, you can expect to find the following:
- 1 rechargeable G Pro Herbal Vaporizer
- 1 G Pro mouthpiece
- 1 G Pro removable filter (housed within the mouthpiece)
- 5 G Pro filter screens
- 1 G Card – a grinder card branded with Grenco Science’s G logo
- 1 G Pro cleaning brush
- 2 G Pro extended mouthpiece sleeves
- 3 G Pro mouthpiece sleeves
- 1 G Pro wired USB charge
How To Use The G Pro Herbal Vaporizer
Without a doubt, one of my favorite qualities of the G Pro Herbal vaporizer is how easy it is to use. It only requires the use of one button to operate its 5-click on/off and variable temperature control features, and loading the unit is equally intuitive.
Normally, I would take the time write out a number of steps about how to operate the G Pen Herbal vaporizer. However, the team at Grenco Science made things easy this time around – the following video pretty much has you covered:
One topic the video fails to touch on is how to maintain the G Pro Herbal vaporizer over time. DO NOT use water or cleaning solution on any part of the unit itself.
Instead, use the G Cleaning Brush to sweep out any remaining material from inside the stainless steel heating chamber (first make sure the device is powered off and has cooled down from your last session). The mouthpiece can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol, and the removable filter screen can be cleaned/replaced as needed.
What I Liked About The G Pro Herbal Vaporizer
- The 5-click on/off feature helps prevent accidentally vaporizing concentrates in your pocket
- A green LED light to let you know when the pen is fully charged, and flashes red 4 times to let you know the battery is low
- Variable temp control with a LED indicator – Red = 320° F, Green = 380° F, and Blue = 420° F
- Automatic shut-off feature for battery preservation after three minutes of continuous power
- The unit easily fits in your pocket or purse for the ultimate “on-the-go” vaporizing experience
- Mouthpiece sleeves are a great addition for germ-conscious patients; they might also be a good way to minimize heat transfer as the top of the unit (including the mouthpiece) tends to run hot
- Relatively intuitive design -one run-through of the directions is all it takes to get the hang of this vaporizer
- Grenco Science backs their electric components with a 1-year warranty
How Could The G Pro Herbal Vaporizer Be Improved?
- The quality of vapor this unit produces leaves a lot more to be desired – it has a bit of a burnt popcorn taste, especially at the higher temps (Green + Blue)
- The top end of the G Pro Herbal vaporizer (near the mouthpiece) runs quite hot
- Stainless steel and plastic are not best ideal materials for a vapor path in my opinion – I always prefer to see an inert surface like glass and/or ceramic
- It could be difficult for older consumers (especially those with arthritis) to detach the mouthpiece. I had trouble doing so myself at first
- A faster heat-up time would be ideal – 60-90 seconds is a long time to expect patients with panic attacks, for instance, to wait for their medication
- Offering the G Pro Herbal vaporizer in different colors would allow for more personalization
G Pro Herbal Vaporizer: Grenco Science Is On The Right Track
Overall, I would consider the G Pro Herbal Vaporizer to be a solid choice for people in search of a low-maintenance portable unit to vaporize their dried flowers. Of course, this pen is useless for anyone who only plans to medicate with cannabis concentrates (shatter, wax, etc.).
“Despite the G Pro Herbal having a long heat up time, using stainless steel materials, and lacking variable temperature settings, it is still a decent option for people seeking a cheap and easy-to-use portable dry-herb vape.”
You would be hard-pressed to find another portable vaporizer at the G Pro Herbal vaporizer’s price point ($99.95) that can compete with it’s ability to vaporize dry herb on the go. In fact, the G Pro Herbal Vaporizer costs the same or less than many of the pen vaporizers that have risen in popularity in recent years (ex. Dr. GreenThumb X Cloud Pen).
Grenco Science’s elegant branding and the 1-button operating system are what caught my attention most. It’s not the best portable flower vape on the market by any means, but it’s a great deal when you consider that the units I would choose over this one (the DaVinci Ascent and the Arizer Solo) typically retail for more than twice the price of a G Pro Herbal vaporizer.Review: G Pro Herbal Vaporizer
G Pen PRO Review
Kit & Accessories
- G Pen Pro
- Cleaning brush + packing tool
- USB charging cable
- Grinder card
Compatibility: The G Pen Pro is only compatible with dry herb.
You can get replacements for the mouthpiece, grinder card, and the charging cable at the G Pen website. However the grinder card is not the best way to grind herb, so you would be better off using a quality herb grinder like the SLX, which you can get from Vape-Smart.
It’s also unnecessary to buy a replacement cable from them since you can buy one anywhere. Whatever you decide to buy from their website, don’t forget to use the G Pen coupon code when you do.
Design & Features
General Design: The Pro has a very sleek, discreet design that looks good, but also won’t attract too much attention, which is a pretty nice trick. It has a smooth, slim design without any bumps or protuberances since the power button sits flush against the body of the vape. That means it fits nicely in your hand and easily slips into your pocket.
It has the understated grey color that you see in all of G Pen’s vapes, and it manages to look good without being too noticeable. My only issue is that the flat mouthpiece with the small slit isn’t my favorite type of mouthpiece because it always feels awkward. It does help with portability and concealability though, so I can see why they chose it.
Ease of Use: This is a pretty good choice for beginners because it is very easy to use. There is only one button to control the power and preset temperature settings, so it’s pretty simple to come to terms with using the Pro. Loading is easy too since all you have to do is remove the mouthpiece when you want to fill the chamber, and replace it when you’re done. The G Pen Pro is a simple, uncomplicated weed vaporizer to use, which is always a good thing.
Build Quality: The Pro is made from aluminum so it’s nice and durable, plus its fingerprint and scratch-resistant, which is always a plus. The mouthpiece is made of plastic though, which is a little problematic. That’s because it’s located right over the oven, and since plastic doesn’t really disperse heat all that well, the mouthpiece tends to get a little warm during use.
Cleaning and Maintenance
It’s really easy to take care of the G Pen Pro. You can use the included cleaning brush to clean out the chamber. As for the mouthpiece, a soak in isopropyl alcohol for an hour or two should do the trick.
How to use
- Remove the mouthpiece from the rest of the vaporizer to expose the herb chamber.
- Fill the chamber with herb and replace the mouthpiece.
- Press the power button five times to turn on the device.
- Hold down the power button to cycle through the temperature settings.
- Once the setting has been chosen and heating is complete, inhale from the mouthpiece.
Temperature Settings: 375°F | 400°F | 428°F
Here is a link to the official manual.
Performance & Vapor Quality
Vaporizer Performance: The Pro heats up in about thirty seconds, which is pretty quick for a dry herb vaporizer. As I mentioned earlier, the mouthpiece does get a little warm after you use it for a while.
Vapor Quality: The vapor produced by the Pro is just decent. You wouldn’t expect amazing vapor quality in a weed vape that costs less than $100, but even in that category, the Pro isn’t the best. Vapor quality starts out decently strong but falls off during each session, which is pretty disappointing.
I got the best vapor at the lowest temperature setting because, at the higher ones, the vapor becomes too harsh and uncomfortable. Vapor production isn’t too dense no matter the temperature setting, which isn’t a bad thing since the Pro is meant to be a discreet vape.
Battery Performance: The battery only lasts for about thirty to forty minutes and takes roughly two hours to recharge. Those aren’t great numbers even when you take the Pro’s size and price point into consideration.Newcomers may like the G Pen Pro but everyone else will be unsatisfied with the average vapor quality. Find out more in the review. ]]>