Categories
BLOG

drinking meth bong water

Police: 5-Year-Old Sophia Larson Drank ‘Meth Bong Water’ Before Death

RIFLE, Colo. (CBS4) – New information in the death of a 5-year-old girl reveals that Sophia Larson died after drinking meth from a water bottle. Sophia died on Dec. 12 while she was staying with her mom, Stephanie Alvarado.

Sophia Larson (credit: Alec Larson)

Alvarado, Daniel Bello Alvarado and Karina Ceballos-Romo were arrested last week on charges that include child abuse resulting in death and methamphetamine possession.

(left to right) Stephanie Alvarado, Daniel Bello Alvarado and Karina Ceballos-Romo (credit: Garfield County)

Alec Larson got the call at 4 a.m. that his daughter was in the hospital but by the time he arrived, she had already died.

“He let me know that Sophie had passed away from cardiac arrest. And it just didn’t make any sense to me, she was too healthy to have a heart attack,” said Larson.

Sophia drank “meth bong water” from a water bottle containing methamphetamine, according to the arrest affidavit.

Witnesses told investigators that Sophia’s mother didn’t take her to the hospital right away after Sophia started seeing “monsters and demons” and was seeing double because she didn’t want to “lose her in the system.”

Alvarado told police that earlier that day she had been fired from her job after failing a drug test and she smoked meth on her way to pick up Sophia.

The Garfield County Coroner said that Sophia had a very high amount of methamphetamine in her blood and that her cause of death is attributed to methamphetamine intoxication.

New information in the 5-year-old's death from methamphetamine reveals that Sophia Larson died after drinking meth from a water bottle.

Five-year-old girl died after drinking her mother’s ‘meth bong water’

Share this with

A five-year-old girl suffered a heart attack and died after she drank water her mother had used in a bong for methamphetamine.

Sophia Larson died on December 11 while she was staying with her 26-year-old mother, Stephanie Alvarado, in Rifle, Colorado.

According to police, Sophia died after she drank ‘meth bong water’ from a plastic water bottle that had been left on a table in her home.

She said ‘yucky’ and spat out some of the water after tasting it, which is when her mother and her mother’s two cousins realized they had used the bottle as a water pipe to smoke methamphetamine earlier, police wrote in an arrest affidavit according to CBS.

According to witnesses, Sophia began seeing ‘monsters and demons’ after drinking the water, but her mother did not take her to the hospital right away.

Instead, Alvarado decided not to seek professional treatment because she did not want to ‘lose (Sophia) in the system,’ referring to the state’s Child Protective Services agency.

She gave her daughter milk, wrapped her in a blanket, prayed and read the bible, although she later took her daughter to a nearby apartment to give her oxygen through a tube.

After Sophia stopped breathing, Alvarado brought her to a hospital. She was pronounced dead the next morning.

The Garfield County Coroner ruled methamphetamine intoxication as the cause of death. According to a toxicology report, there was a ‘very, very high’ amount of methamphetamine in Sophia’s blood.

Alvarado and her cousins, 28-year-old Bertha Ceballo-Romo and 27-year-old Daniel Alvarado, are all facing charges of child abuse resulting in death, reckless endangerment and possession of a controlled substance, according to People.

They have all been released on bond and it is unclear when they are due back in court.

Sophia Larson died on December 11 while she was staying with her 26-year-old mother, Stephanie Alvarado, in Rifle, Colorado. ]]>