Crafty+ | Mighty Review
The Crafty & Mighty have been around since 2014 and have been two of the best dry herb vaporizers available since then. Today (late 2019) the Crafty is getting a refresh- called the Crafty+. As you can figure out by the name, it is an upgrade that keeps the same form and functionality, with a few upgraded features and better performance.
This is the second new vaporizer Storz & Bickel has launched this year, the other one being the Volcano Hybrid desktop vaporizer. The Crafty+ isn’t as big an upgrade as the Hybrid but it is significant nonetheless. Hopefully, S&B continues this trend and bring us a Mighty+ (or maybe even a Plenty+) sometime soon.
Kit and Accessories
- Crafty+ Vaporizer
- 1x Dosing capsule
- Two drip pads for concentrates
- USB charging cable
- Replacement screens & seals
- Mighty vaporizer
- Herb mill & Filling aid
- Drip pad
- 1x Dosing capsule
- Cleaning brush & replacement screens
- Wall outlet adapter
Compatibility: The Crafty+ and the Mighty are primarily dry herb vaporizers but they are compatible with solid wax concentrates using a “drip pad” that inserts into the oven.
- The dosing capsule included in either kit can be pre-filled with herb and then placed in the oven when you’re ready to vape. You can get more of them in sets of eight or forty.
- You can also get a handy capsule caddy that holds a maximum of four dosing capsules and that can be attached to your keychain.
- The Filling Aid is included with the Mighty kit, and used to be included in the Crafty kit, but unfortunately, it is no longer included with the Crafty+. The Filling aid (view on S&B website) is a great accessory that will make packing the oven a super convenient and straightforward process. It stores herb and funnels it into the oven when needed. It makes packing a perfect oven, a breeze.
- A good grinder is essential for efficient vaping, try the SLX Grinder to check out our favorites.
Design and Features
The Crafty+ and the Mighty are both tough, rugged vaporizers that put function over style. They each have hard plastic bodies that feature a finned design for dissipating excess heat. The result is that neither of them gets hot while they’re being used. They each also have a swiveling mouthpiece that folds away when not in use and feels great to inhale from when it is in use.
They are both very easy to use and have a straightforward interface without any unnecessary buttons or functions. The Mighty has analog controls and a digital display built into the device for precise temperature control. The Crafty+ needs the smartphone app for granular control, it’s the same app that is used in the new Storz & Bickel Volcano. Otherwise, you can only use three preset temperatures, more about that later.
If you do have the app, you can use it to set the Crafty+ to any temperature between 104°F and 410°F, which is the same temperature range as the Mighty. You can also use the app to check the battery level and calibrate other vaporizer settings. The app also has a “find-my-vape” feature that makes the Crafty vibrate and flash its lights.
The Crafty+ and the Mighty naturally have a lot in common, but they also have some significant differences, the most obvious one being their respective sizes. The Mighty is the larger of the two and is better suited for home use since carrying it around is tricky unless you put it in a backpack or purse. The Crafty+ is the more portable friendly option because of its pocket-friendly size. Despite the size difference, both the Crafty+ and the Mighty have identically sized ovens capable of holding around 0.25g of dry herb.
The Crafty’s and Mighty’s body is made from Medical grade Plastic called PEEK, which is an advanced biomaterial often used in medical implants. It has a rigid design with grooves that stretch along its’ body. This is a brilliant design that allows for excellent heat dispersion and keeps the unit cool and comfortable to hold.
Crafty+ Boost & Super-Boost modes
Pressing the power button twice (boost) or three times (super-boost) during a session activates one of the modes. Boost will increase the temperature by 10 to 15 °F and the super-boost will increase to the maximum temperature (410 °F). So while there is no way to control the exact temperature from the device, you can gradually increase the temperature and make the most out of your plants.
The Storz & Bickel EcoSystem
S&B has a bunch of accessories and aids that are compatible with all of their vaporizers. Some of those accessories are:
- Dosing Capsules– you can use small dosing capsules that can be pre-filled with herb and just pop them in and out of the oven while on-the-go. The capsules can fit in a keychain, eliminating the need to pack an oven. S&B also sells filling trays and aids that can fill up to 40 capsules at a time. Using the capsules is super easy and convenient.
- Filling Aid– clips to the top of the vape and functions as a funnel into the oven. This filling aid is also a container, so you can keep a small amount of ground herb inside. The aid clips to the oven, and funnels the herb inside. Aside from the obvious benefit of not losing any herbs when filling, you’ll also keep your vape clean (because fewer derbies fall around the heating element). The biggest benefit is that packing an oven becomes consistent and controlled. The density is always optimal, the amount is always the same, and it just streamlines the oven-packing procedure.
How to Use
- Twist off the cooling unit to expose the herb chamber.
- Pour your ground herb into the filling aid.
- Firmly attach the filling aid to the herb chamber, remove the stopper from the filling aid and use it to sweep the herb through the open hole of the filling aid into the herb chamber. You also have the option of filling dosing capsules in advance and just popping them into the oven.
- Remove the filling aid and then reattach the cooling unit.
- Turn on the device and select your temperature.
- Once the vape finishes heating, swivel out the mouthpiece and inhale from it.
You can find the official user manual for the Crafty+ here and the manual for the Mighty here.
Cleaning & Maintenance:
Thanks to a very clever design, the Crafty+ and Mighty are two of the easiest vapes to clean and maintain. When vaping dry herb, two components of the vape get dirty- the mouthpiece and the oven.
- The mouthpiece (aka Air Cooling Unit)– this is the component that sits on top of the oven and includes a mechanism to cool down the vapor. The mouthpiece is part of this component. The Air cooling unit can be disassembled for cleaning, or completely replaced for around $20. I never clean mine, I just purchase a new one every few months. So zero maintenance here.
- The oven (aka Heating Chamber)– this is where you place the herbs. Since you can remove the entire Air cooling unit that sits on top, there is very convenient access to the oven (for cleaning and packing). The oven needs to be cleaned every 20-40 uses or so with some alcohol wipes. Using dosing capsules significantly reduces the amount of residue that accumulates in the oven.
Performance and Vapor Quality
Not surprisingly, the larger, more powerful mIghty heats up faster than the smaller Crafty+, the Crafty+ takes about a minute while the Mighty takes about 45 seconds. However, both of them stay pretty cool to the touch while they are being used thanks to the finned design that aids in heat dissipation.
Both vapes use a hybrid conduction/convection combination to heat the herb and that combination produces amazing vapor. That is because the herb gets heated more thoroughly and efficiently with that combo than it would with either method, so the vapor is richer, denser, and more potent. The mouthpieces make it easy to enjoy that vapor because their straw-like shapes are among the best way to inhale the vapor, plus their draw resistance is very low.
There isn’t any appreciable difference in vapor quality between the Crafty+ and the Mighty so that shouldn’t be a factor in choosing between the two of them. Both produce outstanding vapor.
The battery could be a factor in choosing between the two because the Mighty’s battery matches its name, as it’s capable of lasting for an impressive two and a half hours. Even better, it only takes about ninety minutes to recharge, though a power adapter is needed. That can limit convenience since you need to find a wall outlet when it’s time to charge up the Mighty.
One of the biggest drawbacks of the original Crafty was its short battery runtime. It lasted around 3 bowls and took two and a half hours to charge. The new Crafty+ offers a significantly better runtime of 6-7 bowels, with an hour and a half charge time. Unlike the Mighty that uses a proprietary charger, the Crafty+ uses a Micro-UBS charging port.
Crafty+ or Mighty
There is already a Crafty+ vs Mighty comparison, but here is a quick summary. The answer depends on what you want in a vaporizer.
- If price is a concern, then the Crafty+ is about $80 cheaper than the Mighty.
- If portability is a factor, then the Crafty+ is easier to carry around.
- If you need to have on-board temperature display and control, the Mighty is the only one out of the two that offers that.
- The battery runtime of both vapes is similar, with a slight advantage to the Mighty.
- The vapor quality is very similar and shouldn’t be a determining factor.
Mighty+ Coming Soon?
Yes! Storz & Bickel accidentally confirmed that a Mighty+ is coming soon. Users on Reddit noticed “compatible with Mighty+” on replacement parts packaging from S&B. This confirms our suspicion regarding a new version of the Mighty vaporizer.
We expect the Mighty+ to-
- Have longer battery life
- Improved heating element and faster heat-up time
- Subtle logo position changes
- Flat bottom so it can stand upright
- Hopefully a USB-C charging port
- App compatibility?
The Mighty is already the #1 dry herb vape right now, I can’t wait to see what else the Mighty+ can bring to the table. Of course this means that you shouldn’t purchase the Mighty right now. Wait for the new version, which will probably make the current version cheaper.The Crafty+ and Mighty weed vaporizers are on top mainly because of their great vapor quality. Find out if they still rule in this review.
Crafty+ vs Mighty Comparison
The Crafty and the Mighty (Review | Buy) have been intertwined since the beginning and it’s not hard to see why. They are both made by Storz & Bickel, they were both released at the same time, they use many of the same accessories, and they provide similar vaping experiences.
There were differences too of course, mainly in size, with the Mighty being larger. With the launch of the new Crafty+ the differences between it and the Mighty are smaller than before. As you can tell by the name, the Crafty+ is an upgrade to the original Crafty. It’s definitely an improvement, but how does it fare against the Mighty? There’s only one way to find out, so keep reading.
The Crafty+ and Mighty At a Glance
|Height||4.3 inches||5.5 inches|
|Oven Size||0.3 grams||0.3 grams|
|Temperature Range||104°F to 410°F||104°F to 410°F|
|Precise Temperature Control||Via Smartphone app||On the device|
|Battery Life||60 to 80 minutes||120 minutes|
|Charge Time||Two hours||Ninety minutes|
|Charging Method||USB charging cable||Wall outlet adapter|
Crafty vs Mighty Snapshot
So how are the Crafty+ similar to each other now? And how are they still different? We’ll take a closer look, but here’s a quick summary.
- The Mighty is the larger of the two devices
- The Mighty features on-board controls and cannot use the smartphone app
- The Crafty+ needs the smartphone app for precise temperature selection
- The Mighty uses a wall adapter for charging
- The Crafty uses a USB port for charging
- The Mighty has a longer lasting battery than the Crafty+
- They have the same oven capacity of about 0.25 grams
- They both have the signature cooling unit with the swiveling mouthpiece
- They can use the same set of accessories
- Cleaning and maintenance are the same for both
- Both feature a boost mode that gradually increases the temperature by 10°F
Differences Between The Crafty+ and Mighty
This is the most immediately obvious difference as the Mighty is a little over an inch taller than the Crafty+ and wider as well. Naturally that makes the Crafty+ the more portable friendly option since it’s small enough to comfortably fit in most pockets. The Mighty can fit into a purse or a backpack, but a pocket is probably a no-go. So you can take it with you if you have the means, but it is better suited for home use, especially when you consider the charging method. Speaking of which…
Battery and Charging
The Mighty uses a wall adapter to charge up its battery which is capable of lasting for up to two and a half hours. A recharge takes about ninety minutes, which means that the battery duration is longer than the recharge time, which is always good. The Crafty+ can last for about ninety minutes, which is a big improvement over the original Crafty. Recharging the battery takes ninety minutes and is done via a USB cable.
The Mighty has controls and a digital display right on the device that allows you to select the precise temperature from a range of 104°F to 410°F. The Crafty+ has two basic temperature settings that you can access from the device, 356°F and 383°F. However, while a session is active, you can access a boost mode that increases the temperature by 10°F to 15°F.
There is also a super-boost mode that increases the temperature to its maximum of 410°F. If you want precise temperature control, then you will need to use the smartphone app since that’s the only way to access that feature. If you do use the app, then the full temperature range is 104°F to 410°F, just like the Mighty.
The Crafty+ now looks more distinct from the Mighty because it now has upward slanting cooling fins as opposed to the horizontal fins seen in the original Crafty and still seen on the Mighty. It might seem like a small change, but they give the Crafty+ a sleeker, more streamlined look. Aside from that change, the other design differences are purely cosmetic; there is now a logo on the top of the cooling unit as opposed to the word Crafty, and the word Crafty+ is emblazoned at the bottom of the unit.
Incidentally, all the accessories that worked with the previous Crafty, like the dosing capsules and filling aid, still work with the Crafty+. Since it didn’t get a redesign, the Mighty is still large and in charge and it still has those signature horizontal cooling fins. It also still has that curved base that makes standing it upright trickier than it should be. Plus there are the analog temperature controls and digital display, of course.
This is the other big difference between the two as the Crafty+ is the less expensive of the two at $279, while the Mighty costs $349.
Similarities Between The Crafty+ And The Mighty
Cleaning and Maintenance
The Crafty+ and Mighty are both very easy to clean, low-maintenance vaporizers. Their ovens can be easily cleaned using cleaning wipes or a cleaning brush, but you only need to do so about every twenty to forty uses. That number goes down to zero if you elect to use the dosing capsules instead of putting your herb directly into the oven.
The mouthpiece—also called the cooling unit—requires even less maintenance. It is easy to clean, but if you want, you can just get a new cleaning unit every few months in lieu of cleaning the current one. So, all told, the maintenance of the Crafty+ and Mighty is minimal to non-existent.
The Crafty+ and the Mighty are both compatible with wax concentrates. However, it is not recommended that you use them—or any wax compatible dry herb vaporizer—with concentrates. They don’t get hot enough to fully vaporize the wax, plus they make the oven really messy and hard to clean. So, if you want to use concentrates, stick to a vape pen instead.
The Crafty+ and Mighty are made from a tough, medical-grade plastic called PEEK (polyether ether ketone). It is used in various applications in the medical, automotive, and aerospace industries. All of those industries need materials that are durable and can withstand a lot of stress. So, you can be certain that they can take whatever abuse you can throw at them. Not that you should of course, but you can be safe in the knowledge that it won’t be the end of the world if you drop either of them on the ground.
Both vaporizers use a hybrid convection/conduction heating method. This creates a richer flavor than either method would by itself. The Mighty heats up in about 45 seconds while the Crafty+ takes about a minute.
Oven Size and Material
The oven of both vaporizers is made from ceramic, just the same as most dry herb vaporizers. That is because it is a neutral material that has good heat retention. Despite the Mighty being the larger of the two vaporizers, it has the same oven capacity as the Crafty+, which is about 0.25 grams.
Longevity and Reliability
The Mighty and the original Crafty are both tough, long-lasting devices that have stood the test of time. Their plastic bodies may not be as flashy as the shiny metal shells you see in some of the premium dry herb vaporizers, but they give them superior durability. Since the Crafty+ is made from the same material, it is likely that it will end up being as long-lasting as they are.
Warranty – Two years for both the Crafty+ and the Mighty.
Battery and Charging
Crafty+ – The Crafty+ lasts for about ninety minutes, which is good for about six to seven bowls. That is an improvement over the original Crafty, which had a notoriously short battery life. It also had a notoriously long charge time of nearly two and a half hours. The Crafty+ cuts that down to about ninety minutes, so it is a far more convenient device than its predecessor.
Mighty – The battery of the Mighty can last for about two and a half hours, a full hour longer than most dry herb vaporizers including the Crafty+. It also recharges quickly too, only taking about ninety minutes. The only downside is that it requires a wall adapter rather than a USB port for a recharge. Considering that the size of the Mighty limits it to home use, that isn’t such a big deal.
Thanks to the hybrid heating technology, the vapor quality of the Crafty+ and the Mighty is excellent. The vapor is rich, dense, potent, and flavorful. In other words, it’s everything that you would want in a dry herb vaporizer. There isn’t any difference in quality between the two vaporizers, so that is unlikely to be a factor when you have to make the choice between the two of them.
So, Which One Should You Choose?
There are a few factors that can help to determine which one of these vaporizers is right for you. Price is a big one and if money is a concern for you, then the Crafty+ is the cheaper of the two. In fact, it costs $279, the same as the outgoing Crafty, which is impressive considering that it’s a pretty big upgrade. The Mighty costs $349, which is a big investment for most people, but at least you get your money’s worth from it.
Portability could be an issue for some as well, and to put it bluntly, the Crafty+ is far and away the more portable of the two. It easily slips into a pocket and the USB charging means that you have far more recharging locations available. The Mighty is too large to fit in any pocket, though it slips easily into a purse or backpack. The wall adapter also limits its recharging options, though the battery lasts long enough that recharging probably won’t be a big concern.
Control options could be another sticking point for some. The Crafty+ uses a smartphone app to control basic functions like precise temperature selection. Without it, you can choose from three preset temperatures using the device itself. There is a manual boost mode that will gradually increase the temperature as you vape, which is appreciated but it isn’t the same thing as granular temperature control. The Mighty has granular temperature control right there on the device so a smartphone app isn’t necessary. The digital display might be a little outdated but it still works just fine.
Ultimately, the Crafty+ is the better choice for most people. It is cheaper, more portable, and its vapor quality is the same as the Mighty’s. The advantages of the Mighty are that it has a longer battery life and doesn’t need a smartphone app. However, those qualities are unlikely to overcome the Crafty’s lower price and greater practicality for most people.The Crafty+ and Mighty are similar, but it’s their differences that will let you know which one is right for you. Learn more in this comparison. ]]>