Can you smoke weed from a hookah?
Medicanco may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
You might have heard the term before, but you did not understand what it meant fully, or the thing it refers to.
The word hookah emanates from the Hindustani term “HUQQA.” Hindustani language is spoken in Pakistan and Northern India.
It includes a significant amount of vocabulary from Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian, and Prakrit languages.
In this article, we will explain what a hookah is, its history, how it works, its benefits, and how to smoke weed from a hookah.
What Is a Hookah?
A hookah is essentially a water pipe designed for various types of weed, tobacco, and other smokable substances. It consists of one or multiple stems that draw the water-cooled smoke.
The hookah has several components needed for it to work, and a successful smoking session involves a sensitive balance between various variables.
These variables include:
- The connecting grommets
- The quality and type of bowl and hose
- The type of windscreen utilized
- The liquid utilized in the basin and its temperature
- The length of the smoking session
- The type and quality of marijuana used.
Simply put, mastering the hookah is a skill.
As you continue using the hookah and gain more experience, you will unavoidably modify your setup to match your preferences.
History of Hookahs
A hookah was invented in India by a physician named Hakim Futteh Ghilan. However, there is no evidence of the existence of the hookah until the 1560s.
Additionally, tobacco is said to have arrived in India in the 17th century. During that time, marijuana was still smoked in India.
After the introduction of tobacco in India and Persia by the Europeans, Hakim, who was from a province in Northern Persia migrated to Hamarastan. Later, he became a physician and expressed his concerns after tobacco smoking had become popular among Indian aristocrats.
He then considered a smoking system that allowed smoke to pass through water to get purified. Following the popularity of the system among aristocrats, his new smoking device became a symbol of status for the Indian gentry and aristocracy.
The modern developments of the hookah include the use of higher quality materials like aluminum and stainless steel instead of brass and copper. Hookah hoses are made from silicone rubber instead of wire and leather.
The new materials allow for easy washing without fear of corrosion, eliminate the smell when smoking, and make hookahs more durable. The appearance of hookahs has also changed due to the adoption of modern design trends.
However, regardless of the apparent benefits of modern hookahs, most hookahs are still produced using older technologies in the traditional hookah making regions due to lack of advanced equipment and high costs of production.
How Does A Hookah Work?
A hookah contains various components that are essential for its operation.
Here are some of the most crucial ones:
- Diffuser: It is a piece placed at the bottom of the stem to make the smoke smoother. It lowers the amount of suction needed to bring smoke to the smoker. It also assists in cooling the smoke for a better smoking experience.
- Plate: It is placed below the bowl to collect ashes from the burning charcoal.
- Water base: Smoke passes through water where it gets cooled and humidified. Other liquids like fruit juice can act as a substitute for water.
- Hose: It is a slender tube that allows individuals to smoke from a distance, getting cooled before getting inhaled. Their end is fitted with a mouthpiece.
- Windscreen: It is a cover that surrounds the bowl area. It prevents the ashes and hot charcoal from getting blown onto the immediate surroundings.
- Bowl: It is the container that holds cannabis and coal during the smoking session.
When using the Hookah, the water base is filled with water to submerge the middle stem. The bowl is then covered with a windscreen.
Hot coals are then positioned on top of the windscreen to make the tobacco heat up and produce smoke. Inhaling through the hose accelerates the burning rate of the tobacco.
Sucking through the hose draws smoke underwater through the down stem. The smoke then rises over water into the hose opening and then to the mouth of the smoker.
Benefits of Using a Hookah
- A fresher smell: Most people would agree that smoke from cigarettes and cannabis is offensive, leaving smokers smelling like an ashtray. Smoking from a hookah produces a pleasant scent that leaves you smelling fresh.
- Less risk of teeth staining: The water filters most of the staining compounds of smoke when using a hookah. That makes it a more sensible alternative to paper smoke for those who want a whiter smile.
- They have Larger Bowls: Hookahs have more significant bowls than other water pipe smoking methods, which makes them ideal for group smoking sessions. They also have multiple stems for connection of numerous hoses to allow colleagues to smoke more casually.
Can You Smoke Weed from a Hookah?
Yes, it is possible to smoke weed from your hookah.
However, there are some aspects to consider. Shisha is very moist because it contains glycerin and molasses.
Glycerin and molasses are crucial as they add flavor to the cannabis and protect marijuana from burning fast.
So, if you are planning to add marijuana to your hookah, you should place the weed below the shisha. Doing that will make sure that your weed does not burn from direct contact with the charcoal and reduce the amount of marijuana consumed per each puff.
If you use the right proportions, weed can enhance your hookah experience and make an exceptional smoking session.
Smoking weed from a hookah is a significant step up from smoking dry weed. You can buy various flavors of shisha to make your smoking as enjoyable as possible.
Hookah smoke should be white and thick. Good smoke shows that you have prepared the hookah correctly and you are smoking it the right way.
It is also advisable not to share your hookah mouthpiece with others to avoid respiratory infections. There are however disposable mouthpiece covers available, so each participant can use his own mouth piece cover.
So, that was our brief introduction to what a hookah is. We hope this article shed some light on the definition and working principle of a hookah.
In this article, we will explain what a hookah, its history, how it works, its benefits, and how to smoke weed from a hookah is.