How to Repair a Broken Bong Percolator
Introduction: How to Repair a Broken Bong Percolator
Note: This tutorial will work on tobacco waterpipes (bongs) with 4mm glass. It is easier to do than it looks. You just might have to practice with the glass cutter. If you like your bong a lot or if it was expensive, it is definetely worth it. Besides, once you have all the materials you can fix many bongs in future, too. Also, it is a fun project.
You will need:
– A simple glass cutter, for example this one: Amazon.com link*
– Two component epoxy glue without solvents (you also can get food
grade epoxy if you want), DON’T use glass glue unless it is food grade and water resistant. Normal glue will not work! For example this one: Amazon.com link*
Advantage of epoxy: once dried out it is very hard, not toxic and the one I
have is also resistant to acid and bases (good for dishwasher tabs when
– A jetflame lighter or candle (for thicker/ thinner glass)
– Not to forget: A broken bong (whole percolator broken off or if an arm of the perc broke off)
* = These links are all amazon.com affiliate links
Step 1: Using the Glass Cutter
– wash your bong from the inside and outside with dishwasher tabs and hot water (that yellow thingy is the rest of a tab that didnt dissolve properly)
– then dry it off well on the outside
– find a stable and easily turnable position to (ideally) cut a perfect ring around the neck of your bong
– apply a little oil to the small cutting wheel of the glass cutter
– mark the place where you want to cut (in my case at the bottom so I can
get at the bottom of the percolator when glueing it back on later)
– place the glass cutter straight onto the glass
– gently apply force on it so you get a deeper cut while slowly turning it
– (practice on a normal glass before if you want to)
– don’t panic – the glass cutter doesn’t really cut the glass deep at all, more looks like a scratch
Step 2: Open Up the Bong
– Now carefully heat the small cut the glass cutter made. Use a jetflame
lighter (thicker glass) or a candle (thinner glass) for around 20-30
– try to only heat the small cut
– then immediately cool the glass off with cold water
– the glass will crack after this. If it doesn’t, try heating the cut longer or
you have a bong made of heat resistable glass.
– do this over and over again bit by bit until you have a nice crack going through and all the way around the glass
– you might have to re-cut some places
– after you have a crack around it it will either easily come apart or you have to gently knock it on an edge (of a wooden table)
– once apart, wash the inside out with hot water and dry the perc and the other two parts well with a hairdryer
Step 3: Fixing Your Percolator
– Firstly, take the epoxy and make an equally long line of each the epoxy and the hardener and mix it up well (you don’t need very much)
– apply it to whatever you want to stick back together
– hold it in place for 5 minutes
– (if just one of the arms broke off you can either put it back on or block
the hole with epoxy and throw away the one arm)
– wait 10 minutes and apply another layer around the outside just to go sure it won’t leak any water (only if your whole percolator broke off like in the pictures)
Step 4: Putting Everything Back Together
– Now, mix some more epoxy
– Find the exact position where the two parts were together before
– Apply it to both sides (not too much or it will flow out on the sides when
put together -> not so nice)
– push from the top so everything goes together tightly without air bubbles
– stabilize the position otherwise it moves slightly while drying and then you have edges
– it will be smokeable in 18-48 hours
– CONGRATS! You will have fixed your bong!
I fixed two bongs this way. Didn’t find any tutorial with this method so I decided to share it with you!
Be the First to Share
Did you make this project? Share it with us!How to Repair a Broken Bong Percolator: Note: This tutorial will work on tobacco waterpipes (bongs) with 4mm glass. It is easier to do than it looks. You just might have to practice with the glass cutter. If you like your bong a lot or if it was expensive, it is definetely worth it. Besid…
How To Repair Your Broken Bong At Purr
Breaking your favorite bong can be a terrible thing to experience. Did you drop it, something smashed into it, or maybe your mischievous, but adorable cat knocked it over? Then you’re probably looking for the best way to fix your bong.
The one good thing about broken glass is that most common breaks can be fixed and sometimes even upgraded and customized. At Purr, we understand how important a bong is to the smoking experience and how painful it can be to move on from a sentimental piece or glass that you rely on daily. That’s why we offer glass repairs and quotes on repairs on any Purr or non-Purr bong, bubbler, bowl, dabber, carb cap, pendant, etc. that’s made of borosilicate glass. Before we dive deeper into how to submit a repair quote request, you’ll first want to figure out if repairing your damaged water-pipe is worth it or not.
Is My Bong Worth Fixing?
If you own a Purr bong, bubbler, pipe, or any other accessory, then you already know what it’s like to use a well-crafted, quality piece. Our products are high-functioning, with a minimalist aesthetic and nod to scientific design, proudly designed, tested and American made right in our glassblowing shop. With our combined knowledge of glassblowing and smoking, we do our best to ensure that we’re making the best choices and using the right glassblowing techniques to ensure our glass doesn’t break easily. But as mentioned above, since glass is glass, accidents do happen. So, if you have a special connection with the broken piece or if it was a gift from someone you care about, then doing everything you can to salvage it is completely understandable – we want to help.
Repairs are a tricky, unpredictable, and lengthy process when done correctly. Requiring the right amount of skill and experience, it’s no surprise why most glass brands can’t offer this service and why repairs aren’t cheap. If your broken bong was a cheap import pipe from DHgate, not well made and faulty to begin with, or just not a particular favorite, then it might be better to invest in a new and studier pipe.
And if you’ve got a graveyard full of broken glass, then it may be time to invest in a more rugged smoking device like our Purr2Go Collapsible Travel Hammer Bubbler Bong & Rig Set . This bubbler’s exterior is made of high-quality polycarbonate, which is an extremely durable and light-weight material, making it the toughest and most shatter-resistant bubbler on the market. Next to all the other alternative plastic, metal, wood, or silicone pipes, Purr2Go’s revolutionary polycarbonate and glass hybrid design is the best at preserving the flavor and delivering a full and smooth water pipe smoking experience.
How Purr Can Fix Your Bong
With just four easy steps, you can be on your way to repair your broken pipe with us at Purr. Each break is unique therefore repair prices will vary. Whether it’s a Purr or non-Purr bong or accessory, the design, size, damage, and severity can impact the cost. To assess your repair, we’ll need some basic information to get started. Let’s go through the simple steps on how to get your bong repaired .
Step 1 – Explain: Sometimes it feels like we’re peering at a page of “Where’s Waldo” when reviewing repair images, so it’s best to clearly state what’s broken and how you’d like it fixed. For example, let us know that your 14mm male joint broke on your dab rig and that you want it to be repaired with a 14mm female joint. And don’t worry if you’re not sure what the parts are called, just do your best to describe what you want.
Step 2 – Measure: Depending on the style of the bong or bubbler, there may be size limitations we cannot work with. You’ll want to measure your piece and provide the total height. For example, measure from the base to the mouthpiece. If your mouthpiece is broken, try to measure as if it was still intact.
Step 3 – Photos: Take clear, well-lit photos on uncluttered backgrounds. We’ll need to see unobstructed images of the overall piece, damage, and area surrounding the damage as well as a “before” image of the piece before the break for reference. Make sure your hand isn’t covering up large areas of the piece and that any tape is removed so we can fully see the damage. And if there’s a chip or crack that’s hard to see in photos, try marking up the image to help us identify the issue.
Step 4 – Location Details: Last but not least, provide your shipping address.
Once you have everything together, simply visit our repair page to fill out the request form or email us at [email protected] with all the information above. Because we strive to provide each of you with the best set of options, please allow up to 24-48 hours (M-F) for us to get back to you. In the meantime, enjoy watching our glassblowing videos so you can see exactly what goes into fixing your piece.
How We Do What We Do?
Here at Purr, we’re proud to be one of the only full-service glassblowing companies that offer repairs on both Purr and non-Purr pieces, makes custom glass as well as all our own glass. Our team is made up of extremely talented glassblowers and individuals who are passionate and dedicated to doing business better, offering high-value support to our growing community and improving smoking experiences whether you’re a new smoker or a veteran connoisseur.
So rather than putting on your DIY hat and reaching for the gorilla glue or duct tape the next time your bong breaks, which can be toxic and unsafe, submit your repair request with us to see if we can save your damaged water pipe or accessory. We look forward to helping you out!At Purr, we offer glass repairs and quotes on repairs on any Purr or non-Purr bong, bubbler, bowl, dabber, carb cap, pendant, etc. that’s made of borosilicate glass. ]]>